Artist: 30 Seconds to Mars
Track: Kings and Queens
Year Released: 2009
Director: Jared Leto with the pseudonym of Bartholomew Cubbins
Main Audience: 15-24years old
• The video begins with an establishing shot of the skyline of Los Angeles city under the orange of the sunset sky.
• Following this shot we see a group of people silhuetted against the sun which is orange. A slow motion effect has been added here and this shot then jump cuts to a close up of the head of a microphone again with the sunset as the backdrop. The lead singers face then enters the frame from the right hand side, silhuetted. Still in slow motion
• The next shot is off the band set up on a roof but the intruments are mimicing the skyline the video opened with.
• This is a concept video with performance shot cut into it.
• A huge group are cycling towards the camera around the city at night. Some are dressed up, others are in everyday clothing.
• female gaze could be seen with the male band members however i dont think that this is a key feature that was considered for the music video itself, it is just a coincidence that they are attractive.
• lots of slow motion has been used
• video is edited fairly slow paced compared to some other that i have recently looked at
• Lighting is evidently a key part of the video with the sunset being the main setting and most of the filming done in the dark. also when they ride past the theme park that is all lit u
• This video is very repetitive.
Kings And Queens - 30 Seconds To Mars from JackChan on Vimeo.